Friday, February 6, 2015

Dream Thread



I could see myself lying in bed and I try to wake myself up but it never seems to work.





I looked peaceful but felt cold. This startled me because I wasn't just chilly, I was freezing. I felt lifeless. I looked at the clock and noted that it was 2 AM.


I had woken up 5 minutes ago because I had heard a weird noise from downstairs and, armed with my bedside lamp, I had investigated. I found nothing and decided I was being paranoid. I sluggishly walked back to my room to find something that made my skin crawl. There was someone in my bed. They looked like they were sleeping and that puzzled me because how could this have happened in the span of 5 minutes? I slowly walk over poised to attack with my lamp. I yank back the covers and see myself. I ran out of the room and into the hallway trying so process what I had just seen. There is no way this was real. I must be dreaming. I bang my head against the wall and try to wake myself up. I stuck my head under cold water. Why wasn't anything working? I decided that since it was a dream a logical thing to do would be to go and wake up the person that was supposedly me in my bed and that this nightmare would end.


Now here I am. As puzzled as ever. I’m not crying and I feel like I can’t cry. I feel very empty. As I stand there in shock I realize I am not even breathing. I’m not breathing and the girl in my bed is not breathing either. I snap out of it and run to grab my phone. I dial 911 and a woman immediately answers.


“911, what’s your emergency?”


“I’m dead! I’m looking at my body! I’m not breathing! I’m de-“, I am cut off.


“Hello?”, she says.


I look at the phone to see if my microphone is muted. It is not.


I frantically try again, “Please help me! Please! My address is-“


“Hello is there anyone on the line? Are you unable to answer me?” She persists.


I hang up.


“What the fuck?” I whisper to myself repeatedly.


My phone rings and it is 911 calling me. I don’t answer. She can’t hear me. I sit and stare at my body for what seems like forever when I see red and blue lights flashing outside my window. I stand up and look out the window but the lights stop. I see the police car but it is turned off now. I jump when I hear a loud knock coming from the front door. I don’t know what to do. This is all so surreal. I hear another knock even louder this time.


“Police open up.”


I hear it all. I know it’s happening but in that moment nothing feels real. I walk to the living room and stare at the door. I hear the lock on my door pop and 2 police rush in. They walk around cautiously and right through me. Guns pointed in front of them as if my couch is going to attack them. I hear their radios sputtering nonsense. I don’t even need to think twice. I know they can’t see me. They won’t hear me either. They reach my room and open the door. The gun in the first policemen’s hand is immediately pointed at my lifeless body in bed. He walked at the slowest pace I have ever seen and quite dramatically pulls back my comforter. He looks back at his colleague and tells him to call for an ambulance. There was no use in that. We all knew I was dead.


This is the beginning of my story of my life after death.

2 comments:

  1. That image of seeing someone in your bed is so terrifying to me. When Ryan and I were first married our neighbors came home to find a man asleep in their bed and I always think of that when I walk into my dark bedroom after the house being empty all day. I like the way you've conjured your character's voice from beyond to narrate the events and how you close with the line about the story only being the beginning of something much bigger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait, was there a homless guy just chilling in their house?? What happened??

      Delete