Monday, February 9, 2015

Color Story

I was so blue.
That sounds sad but it doesn't have to be. I was an endless sky on a spring day. I was light breaking through the ocean’s surface. I was that kid jumping through puddles and giggling. I was sticking my tongue out after drinking a blue raspberry slushy. I was that sad song that you sing/scream dramatically with your friends, and giggle. I was pure and clean.

You were green.
You were always jealous. You were slime and hypocritical. You were sickness and unhealthy. You were what toxic warnings were made for. You were everywhere and overgrown, overtaking my everything. You were gross and I didn't see that but now I do. You were everywhere but now I am a lawnmower (never thought I’d say that).


The places were black.
The sidewalks were barely seeable. The buildings were tall and daunting and didn’t hold near as much promise as they did in the day. The stranger’s eyes are dark and shifting as you pass them on the streets. The clanging of metal down alleyways we scurried past. The cold bit you. It was dark and scary but cities are as exciting as they are sketchy. I am enthralled and infatuated. A deadly combination.

I am going to be pink again.

I am going to be bubbly and happy. I going to ooze enthusiasm and optimism like I used to. I am blushing cheeks. I am going to be a flower but not as delicate. I am going to be the little girl spinning in her princess dress. I am going to be the walls of my sister’s room, vibrant and awake. I am going to be the bow I wore around my hair when I was 7. I am going to be the fifth journal I begged my mom to buy for me in middle school; swearing I am going to write in it this time.   I am going to be carefree. 

1 comment:

  1. I really like what you did with this--especially the return to pink and bows and carefree bliss at the end. The line about the lawnmower reminds me of a funny pair of flowered socks my sister gave me for Christmas that say "Your ass is grass" on the bottoms. The rest of that phrase is "and I'm about to mow it." : )

    ReplyDelete