Saturday, February 28, 2015

Memorable Passage

“Bono met his wife in high school," Park says.
"So did Jerry Lee Lewis," Eleanor answers.
"I’m not kidding," he says.
"You should be," she says, "we’re sixteen."
"What about Romeo and Juliet?"
"Shallow, confused," then dead.
"I love you, Park says.
"Wherefore art thou," Eleanor answers.
"I’m not kidding," he says.
"You should be.” 

This kinda seems like a weird passage to pick out I guess because it is not a life changing quote. I like it because I get it now. This is from the book Eleanor and Park (which is an adorable book). It took me a few chapters into the book to actually like it. I ended up loving the book and at the end I felt ripped off because it felt too ambiguous and open ended. SPOILER ALERT: You don't find out what happens... Do they ever end up together? Will they find each other again??? It was eating me alive. As I laid in bed a few nights after overanalyzing all things, I thought of this book and how much the ending pissed me off. Then I realized I completely missed the point. You don't find out what happens because nothing does. They eventually forget about each other because it was just a high school romance. Those are usually doomed from the start. What with all the "complex" feelings and undecided futures. So, I like this quote because the answer to all my questions was right there in print the whole entire time and I was too wrapped up in the love story.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a great book. I know how frustrating an open-ended ending could be, but you're right...that's high school. That's life really. Not much in life ends up tied up neatly with a bow.

    ReplyDelete